No nasties simply means "without harmful substances."
We usually don't think about it, but personal care products often use ingredients that can harm our skin, as well as our health, both in the short and long term.
Find below a list of "nasties" commonly found in personal care products that you would rather get rid of ❌:
- Parabens are synthetic 🧪️ preservatives associated with reproductive toxicity, endocrine disruption and skin irritation. The EU therefore advises against using parabens in children under 3 years of age.
- Silicones are synthetic ingredients that make skin care products spread easily and give a silky feel to the skin. As a result, silicones actually put a layer on top of the skin that can clog pores. This way, it can irritate the skin, causing itchiness, redness or developing bumps.
- Phthalates are used in personal care products as a solvent and fixative or to stabilize fragrance and/or color. Animal testing has shown that phthalates can interfere with the development of testicles. Thus, phthalates are potentially endocrine disruptors.
- Sulfates, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), are chemical cleaning and foaming agents. They are very aggressive, removing the skin's natural protective layer and allowing even a small amount to irritate the skin and cause it to become dry and even flaky. SLS and SLES are very widely used in cosmetic products because they are cheap ingredients that make skin care products lavishly foam 🧼️.
- Phenoxyethanol is a preservative with antibacterial properties used in skin care products. Phenoxyethanol can cause allergic reactions.
- Mineral oils come from the petrochemical industry, or a residual product of refineries. In skin care products, mineral oil is used, among other things, to moisturize the skin inexpensively and free of odor and color. Meanwhile, Consumer association, "Test Aankoop" also highlights the danger of mineral oil because there are strong suspicions that some mineral oils (MOAH) can be carcinogenic and others (MOSH) can accumulate in the organs and form (benign) tumors in lymph nodes, liver and spleen.
So, what about Oh, Baby! ?
Oh, Baby! products are natural and organic baby care products 🌱. Natural and organic care do not contain such harmful substances, since these harmful substances are all synthetic (and therefore not natural and organic).
Thanks to our expertise in developing organic baby care, we know that Mother Nature is so generous that all these "nasties" can be perfectly replaced by natural alternatives. As a result, our natural body care and bath products store just as well, moisturize intensely, spread super easily and lather wonderfully. Go mother nature! 💪🌸