Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between bio and organic?

The answer is very simple: in this context there is no difference :-) Organic is the same as Bio.

What is the difference between natural and organic?

Let's explain the difference between natural and organic with an apple. Every apple is natural because every apple is a product of nature. But not every apple is organic because an apple could have been treated with pesticides.

What do the Ecocert Organic or Cosmos Organic guidelines stand for?

The guidelines include that
- We strive for 100% natural ingredients. Unless there is no natural alternative for a particular ingredient. This is the reason why you see eg '99.3% natural 'on certain products.
- Minimum 20% of the ingredients are from organic origin. 20% you say? This may seem small, but be aware that this disregards water and that ofter over 70% water is used in cosmetics. Of the remaining 30%, therefore, at least 20% (or 2/3)!) must come from organic cultivation. Also know that with other guidelines this percentage is a lot lower, eg at Cosmebio 10% organic ingredients are sufficient, with Ecocert Eco only 5%.
- All harmful substances are prohibited such as parabens, sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), synthetic emulsifiers (PEG, PPG, ...), talc, mineral oil, ...

What exactly does vegan mean?

Vegan means that the product contains no ingredients that come directly or indirectly from an animal. 'Directly' means that we do not use animal products such as sheep fat (yes, you read that right!) in our products. 'Indirectly' means that we do not use products such as honey.
Vegan also means that the products or ingredients are not tested on animals.

What is cradle cap?

Cradle cap is caused by transpiration or excessive sebum secretion that is held by dead cells on the skin's surface until scabs form. The scabs are not harmful in themselves but, besides not being aesthetically pleasing, they can also harbour bad bacteria.
Oh, Baby! Body Wash & Shampoo contains prebiotics and probiotics which help to prevent cradle cap and maintain the natural balance between good and bad bacteria.
To remove these crusts, massage some Oh, Baby! bath oil or another oil (such as almond oil) on the cradle cap before bathing. Leave the oil on the skin for 15 minutes so that the crusts soften and soak off. Brush the scabs out of your baby's hair with a soft brush. Never pull them off. If they don't come off immediately, you can repeat this step again, at least until your baby has had enough! Otherwise, you'll need to wait until next bath time :-). Then wash the hair with Oh, Baby! Body Wash & Shampoo for optimal results.

What are prebiotics and probiotics?

Bacteria can be classified into 3 main groups:
- Bad bacteria: these can cause redness, itching and irritation on the skin
- Good bacteria or probiotics: these strengthen our immune systems and protect the skin against bad bacteria and itching, irritation and redness. Several studies on the impact of probiotics on atopic skin ae currently ongoing.
- Prebiotics, are 'helpers' for the good bacteria. They ensure that the good bacteria or probiotics recover more easily and grow faster.

What are the advantages of prebiotics and probiotics for your baby's skin?

In healthy skin, the skin's microbiotics are in balance. This means that the bad bacteria do not dominate the probiotics (= good bacteria) and prebiotics (= helpers of the good bacteria, see above).
Prebiotics and probiotics in skin care products help to prevent itching, redness and other skin disorders, to maintain and repair the skin barrier, and prevent dandruff and cradle cap, ...
Several studies investigating the potentially positive effect of probiotics on eczema are currently ongoing.